[Nottingham] NLUG website: redecorated (actually, it's been gutted and rebuilt!)

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 09:42:18 GMT 2007

Hi All,
I hope everbody had a joyous break over Christmas/New Year/My Birthday: I'm
back in the office after an unprecedented full two weeks off and trawling
through the email backlog - thus avoiding real work.

I doubt anyone has noticed but I'm rewriting the website. I've started porting
all the other event write-ups and resources (starting with a brief report of
the social at my house) and I've decided to go with a particular format that
I hope will make for pragmatic readability and searchability. _All_ past
events will be listed (eventually) in descending date order (i.e. latest
first) with the initial announcement followed by writeups, links, slides,
photos, etc. I will be calling on anybody with nice photos of events to dig
them out!

The purpose of the website is to present the "flavour" of the LUG to
interested parties and lost surfers. It is not there to remove anything from
the mailing list: only to add to it. Calendars of future events and records
of past events are the main thing but we often find ourselves searching the
mailing list archives for a particular technique or reference to a gem of
knowledge that we recall being mentioned on the list at some point; I have
created an outline for a "NLUG book" that is a place to record these gems.

I've put in about 40 hours of work on the website over the holidays (I'm not
very efficient :) ) and it's been good fun. Now we have a CMS, so I'll be
expecting a bit of help (and a lot of technical support queries :) ).

http://www.nottingham.lug.org.uk/ -- please let us know what you think.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.