[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri Jan 12 17:51:59 GMT 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 09:58, Ovid wrote:
> --- Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk> wrote:
> > Keeping it simple, I would still mention/discuss a) normalisation and
> > b) referential integrity.
>
> I'll second this.  MySQL's getting better in this respect, but it's
> only *just* gotten beyond a toy.  With all due respect to MySQL fans
> out there, many people starting using MySQL because it is popular and
> free

...and perhaps also because it's what comes bundled with most webspace
offerings.

I'm possibly out of the depth I need to be in on this, but can you say in what
circumstances these issues actually matter?

For example, a website where inidivdual items of data is updated via a browser
(using forms passing input to a MYSQL table) for display to the public - such
as news items and forthcoming events.  Would concepts such as normalisation
be relevant, and if so what would they contribute?

--
David Aldred