[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 09:17:16 GMT 2007

On Saturday 13 January 2007 19:12, Ovid wrote:
> > If related data lies in a number of tables, then it could be an
> > issue, if the related data's mutual consistency is important -
> > but again, that's not my situation.
> If it's the case that you're only updating one table and not relying on
> any others, than a transaction may very well be irrelevant.  However,
> normalization is still important.

I don't want to diverge too much from the conversation but I've seen some
creative non-normalised database design with column redundancy for rapid
lookups and lock avoidance. One of my points being: just because something is
designed to be used in a certain way, that doesn't mean it can't be used in
another way if it suits your needs. You will, of course, void the warranty --
of which in this case I must add, there is none!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Look afar and see the end from the beginning.