[Nottingham] Which Linux?

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Sat Jan 20 14:59:29 GMT 2007

On 20/01/07, John at tesco <john.ridgard at tesco.net> wrote:
> I have an old Dell laptop with a PII 333 processor and 128mb of ram,
> Which is going to be the best Linux dist to put on it to learn, I could do
> with support for a generic 802.11b wireless card.

It's going to be very slow. I've installed both Ubuntu and openSUSE on
a PII 400 with 192Mb RAM, which both work but are slow.

Why not download the main Ubuntu CD, which allows you to run it as a
"live CD" to see if the hardware is up to it, and will then install it
for you?

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/edgy/ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso

If your wireless card doesn't work you will probably have to use
ndiswrapper and the Windows driver. Lots of info on the Ubuntu site.

Mike

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK