[Nottingham] Time

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:47:58 GMT 2007

Ok, so I'm trying to use time for some performance metrics and while
it's quite possible to use the output to work out what performs more
efficiently it'd be nicer if I actually understood the difference
between the three different time outputs?

Can anyone help me out? I've read the man page and I'm fully aware
that real is the actual amount of time but the page is a little vague
on what user and system actually measure?
An initial guess is that system measures things like disk i/o. Which
would explain why after the first of 5 consecutive runs it's consistent.

Anyone care to help me out?

Many thanks!

- J

--