[Nottingham] Edubuntu crashing

Moppett Iain Iain.Moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Jul 2 13:38:06 BST 2007

Dear all,

I hope you can help.

I have Edubuntu (Feisty Fawn) installed on my daughter's machine.  For
about 2 months now it has been repeatedely hanging. i.e. mouse and
keyboard suddenly stop working, Ctrl-Alt-del/backspace, function keys,
the lot, all dead.  I thought initially that the problem was network
related since it only seemed to happen with email or Firefox, but (to my
daughter's disgust) it has now done the same thing whilst she was
playing SuperTux.  It doesn't appear to be related to any one login
since it happens with hers and mine.

I had a quick look at the logs, for the time when it crashed, but they
didn't really mean much to me.

So my questions are:

1) Any one got any idea what might be happening?
2) What information should I be looking for to help solve the problem?

Any help much appreciated,

Iain