[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Thu Jul 5 16:46:51 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 16:09 +0100, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> I'd postulate that the vast - and by that I mean far in excess of 99% of
> computer users as a whole - really don't give a flying one about the
> ethics, license implications, or in many cases legality of what they're
> doing as long as the system does what they want it to.

Such shocking cynicism ;^)

We work with organisations who are happy to consider ethics, and
in some cases have made board-level decisions to move entirely
to Free Software. Everyone in my organisation has laptops with
Free Software video drivers available for the graphics cards.
We are looking forward to the beta release of OpenMoko (the first
telephone with an entirely Free Software stack :)

While I accept that this is not a majority position, I think you'll
find that many people are interested in behaving ethically - were
that not the case, we would be jailing far more than the current
0.25% (iirc) of the population, and people would not be helping
each other out though freecycle, LUGs, community groups, etc.

Just a thought ;-)

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org