[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Fri Jul 6 00:04:20 BST 2007

Andy Davidson wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2007, at 16:09, Graeme Fowler wrote:

>> If a closed source Linux version of the BBC iPlayer turned up, there are
>> plenty of people who would use it without considering the "ethical"
>> situation
>
> I have my views on BBC content and I notice that someone on LugRadio
> this week said they had the same opinion.  Because I pay my TV License,
> I own that content.  That content is *mine*.  I shouldn't need to pass
> through layers of Digital Restrictions Management in order to get to
> something I own.

You "own" none of it, just as you don't own any software you might've
paid for.  Read the "EULA", enlightening things that they are.

Also, if you want BBC content, remember that it's squirted out
unencrypted 24/7 from a high point near you, and if you're on a proper
ISP, you can join the multicast groups from as31459 and receive the same
data as you would on freeview.

Another argument that is often raised is that the license is a "tax".
It may or may not take the same form as a tax, (you have to pay it or
you'll be in the shit) but you have to admit the beeb produces some
bloody good services (lets ignore iplayer's DRM windows lock in for now)
and programmes.  Take for example, planet earth.  This was made on the
BBC's license fee supported budget and has been widely acknowledged as
nothing short of brilliant.  Now lets look at what demand based TV
companies come up with -- Big Brother.  Yes, Endemol is seriously
coining it off a load of retards wondering if a couple of other retards
will shag on telly.  A bit more of me dies every time I hear about that
show.

--
Tom

// www.portfast.co.uk -- internet services and consultancy