[Nottingham] HP Proliant DL320 - Debian etch install vs RAID controller

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue Jul 10 07:21:58 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 01:57 +0100, NLUG wrote:
> As i said i'm definitely not the only one to whom it happens with that
> OS/Hardware combo, but i cannot find a solution.

It's not real RAID, is it? AIUI, the DL320 G5 series servers have two
SATA or SAS slots, the SATA slots being serviced by an "integrated SATA
controller with with RAID0/1".

This is "dmraid", or "fake raid", which requires drivers in the OS. It's
probably an Intel chipset, or a Promise chipset - you'll have to dig
through your tech specs to find that.

You need to either find the drivers and get the installer to ask for
them at boot time, or find a patched installer that includes them.

Note that dmraid (ATARAID) is a bodge - it requires the CPU to do a lot
of the work of reconstruction. If I were you I'd forget it, and use
Linux software RAID instead - that way you *know* the OS is doing the
work.

Graeme

Graeme