[Nottingham][Talk] *TODAY* 17/07/2007 1: Backups; 2: Microsoft!(Navigation Inn)

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Jul 22 12:17:39 BST 2007

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:11:20 +0100
"Paul Mellors" <paul at paulmellors.net> wrote:

> Shame i was working till midnight it sounded fun was had by all.
>
> To be honest my own backup method is really simple i have 2 disks in
> the server and all i do is cp -Ru on a daily basis, for a home server
> nothing much more is needed.

I use a trivial script that tars my home directory to a memory stick.
It writes an exclude file (recognised by -exclude-list by tar) to
ignore subdirectories I don't want to back up (containing CD & DVD
images for example, or my photos which I archive separately), and writes
a .lastbackuptime file.

Nice & easy.