[Nottingham] Disk conflagration

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Tue Jun 26 21:27:04 BST 2007

On 20/06/07, Rennacker Ed <rennackered at netscape.net> wrote:
> martin at stupids.org wrote:
> > I don't know about paying for recovery, but I have a friend who bought a
> > second hand drive from ebay identical to one which had fried circuitry
> > and recovered the data by swapping the electronics over.  I don't know
> > how easy it is to do or how likely it is to succeed though.
> Yep! Had a disk do that a work last week. Found another similar
> make/model and a few screws and swapped the whole board and got
> everything back.
> Quite easy, good luck,

You are all wonderful wonderful people! And particularly Martin and
Edward. Thank you.

A friend of mine sourced a Quantum disk with an identical looking PCB
side from Eluse. As Edward said, swapping over the circuit board was
ridiculously easy. And the data has now been successfully rescued.
"All is safely gathered in" - since this was a clerical computer.  :-)

I'll probably install the refurbished disk in her new computer to use
as a backup. And I might also install Linux, since Vista runs like a
paralysed slug on her shiny new 512MB RAM computer.

Thanks once again.

Mike

--
Michael Leuty