[Nottingham] Intel CPU Microcode 'critical fix' released

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 11:03:05 BST 2007

Further details:

> A "critical fix" has been posted for Intel Core 2 based
> machines, Core 2 architecture Xeons are included also.
>
> See:
>
> A microcode reliability update is available that improves the
> reliability of systems that use Intel processors
>
> Article ID	:	936357
> Last Review	:	June 22, 2007
> Revision	:	1.0
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936357
[---]

> The list for the CPUs affected is:
>
> Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000
> Core 2 Quad Q6600
> Core 2 Xtreme X6800, XC6700, XC6800
> Core 2 Duo T5000, T7000
>
> Xeon 3000, 3200, 5100, 5300s
>
> or just about every model from second generation of Core microarchitecture
>
> (Non-Microsoft OSes need to update their motherboard BIOSes to implement
> the fix.)

See:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33889730
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01020735&dimid=908755463&dicid=alr_apr07&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr07/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

The critical bit is:

Intel releases critical Core 2 Duo microcode update - Silently

Around April 10th, 2007, Intel released a microcode update (BIOS flash
to the rest of us) so resolve several major issues with how Intel Core 2
series processors operate.

So... If you've done a recent BIOS upgrade and your motherboard
manufacturer was up to date, you may already be covered...

>From that date from so long ago, it must be well tested by now! Still
needs checking if you're covered.

At least the Windows 'update' makes it all easier for the Windows people.

Am I really so badly behind the times? Anyone hear of this?

martin at ml1.co.uk