[Nottingham] Intel CPU Microcode 'critical fix' released

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 14:59:29 BST 2007

Martin wrote:
> For the last bit on this story, see at bottom:
>
> Martin wrote:
>> Further details:
>>
>>> A "critical fix" has been posted for Intel Core 2 based
>>> machines, Core 2 architecture Xeons are included also.

Yet more on this story...

See:

Intel explains the Core 2 CPU errata
Errata known to developers, no cause for panic
By Theo Valich: Thursday 28 June 2007, 07:56

"Biggest error of this affair is not disclosing what the microcode
update is for, or complete story about the erratum - leaving ground
opened for rampant speculations which we saw on many forums, and with
Microsoft releasing an security important update without any descriptions"

Linus gives good comment here:

http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=detail&id=80552&threadid=80534&roomid=2

"How significant were the TLB handling changes?

I'd say: "Totally insignificant".

The biggest problem is that Intel should just have
documented the TLB behavior better."

>>> See:
>>>
>>> A microcode reliability update is available that improves the
>>> reliability of systems that use Intel processors
>>>
>>> Article ID	:	936357
>>> Last Review	:	June 22, 2007
>>> Revision	:	1.0
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936357
>> [---]
>>
>>> The list for the CPUs affected is:
>>>
>>> Core 2 Duo E4000/E6000
>>> Core 2 Quad Q6600
>>> Core 2 Xtreme X6800, XC6700, XC6800
>>> Core 2 Duo T5000, T7000
>>>
>>> Xeon 3000, 3200, 5100, 5300s
>>>
>>> or just about every model from second generation of Core microarchitecture
>>>
>>> (Non-Microsoft OSes need to update their motherboard BIOSes to implement
>>> the fix.)
>> See:
>> http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33889730
[---]