[Nottingham] Isn't this from 40 years ago? [Fwd: -- Sun Solaris Telnet Worm]

Tom Bird tom at marmot.org.uk
Thu Mar 1 20:31:31 GMT 2007

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Wow, this sounds like a blast from the past!
>
> For other than internal debug work, I thought telnet had been long
> abandoned to the naive days of old of open systems and no passwords...
>
> I guess this is an example of how CERT or the CERT posting will be used
> in statistics to claim that the whole of unix and linux are flawed.

When you buy a sun box, they ship it with a preinstalled solaris (you'd
be crazy to use it in production but it's there) that has more or less
everything installed.  Including telnetd, activated, waiting...

--
Tom

// www.portfast.co.uk -- internet services and consultancy
// hosting from 1.65 per domain