[Nottingham] [Talk] Thursday 22/03/2007 - "Open Mic Night"

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 09:39:21 GMT 2007

People,

For our next tech meet we're going to try something a bit different (or a bit
the same - depends how you look at it!)

"Open Mic Night" is an opportunity to hold a more social tech meet where we
can talk about whatever topics come up (whilst enjoying a beer of course).

"So how does this differ from a social, or NNSG meet, or before and after a
tech talk?", I hear you all ask (in my delusion). Well, nothing really! For
me of the best bits of NLUG is the Linux banter after a talk or in the pub
after a food social, but it's never long enough. The function room of the
Navigation, other than being free (gratis), has some advantages over the
usual venues for such tech banter: -

* we get the place to ourselves - there's enough seats to spare!
* we control the environment: lighting, noise, music, smoke, etc.
* laptop friendly - unlike most pubs
* all-you-can-eat buffet is not competing for mouth space or attention
* we're in no hurry to get out and get to the next place

Perhaps "Open Mic Night" is a poor name for it: there won't be a microphone
for a start! I don't want to drag the projector down there but I a few of us
are bringing laptops so we can probably demo and try out some things.

Usual 19:30 meet -- we might start in the bar or we might go straight
upstairs. If in doubt ask the friendly bar staff.

The Navigation Inn
6 Wilford Street
Nottingham
NG2 1AA

Tel: 0115 9417139

http://www.pub-explorer.com/notts/pub/navigationinnnottingham.htm
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=52.948&lon=-1.1518&scale=10000&icon=x

All are welcome. Hope to see you there.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look
like a nail.