[Nottingham] Easy network programming

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Thu May 10 21:52:33 BST 2007

I wrote a complete network layer (made for games but can be used for
most things), in C, http://opensource.linuxgamepublishing.com

Does everything you need in a few lines of code. It isnt technically
cross-platform yet, but it should compile on pretty much anything. The
bonus being, Im happy to give you any information you need on how it
works, right from the horses mouth.

It does pretty much everything, server, client, message sending (text or
data), choice of protocols, keeping track of users, etc etc...

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 21:07 +0100, Joshua Lock wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> I'm looking for a little advice on network programming.
>
> My intent is to start a little project that involves a client posing
> as a host and other clients connecting to it. The clients will each
> send messages (text) and hopefully interact through some whiteboard
> like area where images can be displayed, annotated etc.
>
> My (main) problem is that I have no idea how to handle connections
> over the internets; I did something similar with Java sending plain
> text messages at Uni a couple years back but that was all LAN based
> so I'm not sure if/how that scales.
>
> The advice I'm seeking then, is frameworks to enable me to achieve my
> goals. The final software will need to be cross platform and I'd
> probably prefer a higher level language to enable me to rattle it out
> quicker and above all it's must be easy to use.
>
> I eagerly await your advice,
>
> Thanks!
>
> - J
> --
> Joshua Lock
> incandescant at gmail.com

Michael Simms, CEO - Linux Game Publishing LTD
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com