[Nottingham] Using Linux in the Church Office, part two

Moppett Iain Iain.Moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed May 23 07:46:27 BST 2007

Here's what the University (IS) says:

The current position is that Linux is supported for 'business case' use
but not merely as a preference where a WinXP system would do the same
job. The University recommended Linux distribution is Novell SuSe.

Q How much support does the University provide?

We can now integrate properly with the Exchange email system and most
applications that present via a web based 'front end'. There is a
considerable amount more technical expertise available to support Linux
and Linux support can be sought via the IS Helpline in the normal way.
Beyond that it is also recognised that there is considerable diversity
in the Linux area which renders a standards based approach difficult to
implement with a consequent 'best endeavours' support for applications
and individual desktops.

Iain