[Nottingham] Graphics tablets in Kubuntu

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 22:53:55 GMT 2007

Danny,

> graphics tablet. Now, I've read that Linux (particularly Ubuntu)
> compatibility with Wacom tablets is pretty good - I was wondering if
[---]

Been using one for years and will never move back to using a mouse!

Mine's so old that it's one of those that still uses an RS232
connection. Some distros support it directly. Even if it isn't found,
adding the section for it into the xorg.conf is trivial.

Go for it!

It's more a question of how much you want to spend and for what x-y
resolution. I'd go for the higher resolutions (but still small area, eg
A6 size) so that you get fine positioning control of the cursor without
losing too much desk area.

Being able to navigate the entire screen by moving only your fingers is
very easy on your limbs, and more speedy than a mouse. Use absolute
positioning rather than ("mouse mode") relative. You soon learn where to
instinctively click for things without looking at either the tablet or
screen!

I never use the tablet area 'function' buttons. They were vaguely useful
in the days of Win95, but they are rather superfluous with a decent GUI.

Next step? VR goggles and eye positioning cursor control? Or a
Maxtrix-style jack-in?

martin at ml1.co.uk