[Nottingham] Broken ProFTP on Ubuntu

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue Nov 13 13:30:05 GMT 2007

Salut Brian!

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 01:26:49PM +0000, Brian Marshall wrote:
> I've got rid of proftpd now thanks. Trying to put back vsftpd. It
> seems to install OK with apt-get, but I cannot start the service cos
> (you guessed) I deleted that file from init.d too. Is there a way to
> force the recreation of the script file for vsftpd?

Yeah.
dpkg --force-confmiss -i /var/cache/apt/archives/vsftpd-something-or-other

There the something-or-other is the package version that you're
installing.  Just tab a few times and you'll work it out no doubt :)

If you get stuck dpkg --purge -r vsftpd and then aptitude install vsftpd
will do it too.

--
Simon Huggins  \ "An excellent suggestion sir, with only two minor
                \ flaws...." - Kryten