[Nottingham] Linux in 18 MBytes?

Penfold Q penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 00:55:17 GMT 2007

There are plenty of options for embedded Linux setups in 18 MB RAM. What
we need to know is what processor this is (x86, MIPS, PPC, etc) what
non-volatile storage you have and how much of it and what sort of apps
you intend to run.

If this is a really old white/beige box, you could even run a very
cut-down debian but I'd still choose a custom embedded kernel.

If you're trying to get X11 in 18 MB RAM you'll need a lot of effort and
a fair helping of luck.

Thing is, with only 18 MB of RAM, I wouldn't want to try much more than
a firewall with webserver, ssh, dns, dhcp, and maybe at a pinch, a
really small asterisk server.

But as ever, more details needed.

BTW I'm trying to get together material for a talk on embedded linux and
now I have a Linksys WRT54GL router, this makes for a better example to
use for why anyone would want to try squeezing the penguin onto such a
resource-limited environment. Look out for a talk in the new year,
sometime.

-Penfold