[Nottingham] Linux in 18 MBytes?

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 20 16:04:20 GMT 2007

JJSH wrote:
> Damn Small Linux claims to 'Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB
> of Ram', so as it's only about 50 Mb download, it's worth a go. I
> haven't actually tried it with as little as 18 Mb, but did have it
> running on a 32Mb machine.

I suppose you could get an older install running, in the same way you could
still boot a PC into DOS 3.3 from a floppy disc. Somewhere I have a Redhat 4.1
install that I ran on my 16M Pentium back in 1997. That had X and everything,
but I don't recall the apps being all that wonderful. I guess you were thinking
of running an up to date system on old hardware?

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com