[Nottingham] Linux laptop

John Cremona john.cremona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:12:12 GMT 2007

Thanks Peter.  One advantage of the Linux Emporium source is that they
set everything up so it works -- including the wireless, which has
always been a problem for me.  (It used to work on my Acer laptop with
a Belkin card in the slot, running debian etxh, but some kernel
upgrade made it stop working...)

On the other hand I might be going to Hong King for a conference
sometime next year!

John

On 21/11/2007, Peter Chang <Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, John Cremona wrote:
>
> > I was wondering the same thing, and had considered one of the Lenovo
> > Thinkpads (was IBM) as supplied by the Linux Emporium with Ubuntu
> > pre-installed.
> >
> > If anyone else has any experience with those it would be useful to hear!
>
> I have a Thinkpad X60s running F7 (and ran FC6). It's very light (1.3kg)
> and runs well over two hours on the standard battery. It's a Core Duo cpu
> with Intel integrated graphics and Centrino wireless chipset. Everything
> works apart the untested modem and there's issues with the newer iwlwifi
> driver, NetworkManager and wpa-supplicant which I haven't need to sort out
> as I can connect over wired ethernet. The latest model X61 has a Core 2
> Duo cpu (for 64bits).
>
> They are quite pricey but I got mine in the Far East. Check out
> thinkwiki.org for more hardware details.
>
> Peter

> may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system:

John Cremona