[Nottingham] RE: Pro Licenses and Mesh Networking

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Oct 3 09:48:41 BST 2007

On 3 Oct 2007, at 02:46, Martin wrote:

> Perhaps we do all need to tag on gpg signatures to avoid a chase in
> the first place.
> It might even clobber all the spam rubbish and scams!

I went through this with Martin 'Mahtin' Levy earlier this year; we'd
re-implemented rfc2822 on a hamburger napkin, basically replacing the
EHLO with a certificate based solution.  Mail peers need to trust
each other - so an ISP's customer, one ISP to another, etc.

If a site is a spam source, its mail peers drop the certificate and
mail wont progress.  If a botnet controls your pc, it can't direct
mail in the way it does now as the botnet software wont sit inside
the certificate trust network.

DNSBLs effectively become x509 CRLs.

Pretty sexy, huh ?  But can you honestly imagine email 2.0 getting
enough traction with every stakeholder (every mail server, every mail
client, every isp, every user, in every country) ?  When you can send
your mates a (shudder shudder..) facebook message which basically
already maps your relationships with people you want to talk to, and
allows them to contact you in a 'secure' (in terms of spam
prevention) environment ?

The other question which gets floated around a lot is whether email
has had its day.  I get in contact with suppliers and customers via
IM an awful lot.  And my latest project is designed to make internet
communications via voice a lot simpler (VoIP, but with enough tools
to make it simple to use without resorting to proprietary
protocols !  Its strictly invitation only at the moment - please ping
me for an invitation).

I hope email doesn't die, its the easiest way to get hold of me, and
for me to get hold of a lot of people.  But spam makes it difficult
to use as effectively as I could a year or two ago.

Andy