[Nottingham] LVM and load balancing and ReiserFS

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Oct 26 18:06:50 BST 2007

OK Folks,

Anyone know the fine detail of LVM...?

Rather than blindly use a mirrored RAID setup, and rather than
(laboriously) manually spread frequently accessed directory trees across
multiple physical HDDs...

Can LVM be used whereby directory trees are 'sensibly' spread across 2
or 3 HDDs?

Or is LVM 'dumb' and just provides an extended linear LBA address range?

What happens if you have 3 HDDs and you remove one of the HDDs?

What is the ReiserFS strategy for physically placing directory trees and
files across a disk?

(Or have I got lots of reading to do??? :-( )

Or do I play dumb and submit to a RAID mirror...?

martin at ml1.co.uk