[Nottingham] LVM and load balancing and ReiserFS

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 19:52:40 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 17:56 +0000, Peter Chang wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > PPS.  Stacking Software RAID + LVM2 + XFS is notorious for going belly
> > up on kernels configured with 4K stacks (Redhat definitely, maybe
> > others).
>
> Really? Should I be worried? I've been running md RAID0 + LVM2 + xfs as a
> media store partition for a mythtv box since February 2006 without issues
> with FC4 and FC6.

It depends really.  On 32bit RHEL4 (2.6.13) the thread stack size is 4K
and I have seen RHEL4 systems with 3 x (hardware) RAID5 + LVM2 + XFS +
NFS bork once a week with stack overflows.  Patching the RH kernel to
use 8K stacks eliminated this except for the occasional fubar when the
system is under very heavy load.
Much work has been done since 2.6.13 to reduce the stack usage of
stacked filesystem components (of which RAID+LVM2+XFS is just one
example) but you still see reports of "4k stack bad, 8k stack good"
especially for FC6 and FC7 which have 4k stacks by default.

For x86_64 things are different and I don't know of any confirmed stack
overflows using RAID+LVM2+XFS on such hardware.

You've been running without trouble for 18 months.  You may well run
fine for the rest of the configurations life.  Your call.
My experience of stack overflows so far has been some acceptable data
loss and a few inconvenient (Monday morning) reboots.

Have fun,
Duncan