[Nottingham] Vim on OS X

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 16:51:46 BST 2007

>    Religious flaewars on OSs and editors aside I'm spending more time in
>    Vim, but one thing is keeping me back when I'm running in OS X's
>    Terminal.app on my Apple laptop - I can't work out how to insert a #
>    character.
>
>    In Cocoa apps its <alt>-3 but when I'm in insert mode in Vim this
>    doesn't seem to work.
>
>    I'm sure loads of people have had this problem but I can't find a
>    search term that is unambiguous enough to find the results on Google.
>
>    Any ideas?

I seem to remember having a similar problem with  ssh'ing from my powerbook 520.

The solution I used was to find an existing # and yank it into a named buffer
... which obviously isn't ideal, but does work.

It works fine on my mac mini .... but that's got a PC keyboard so it isn't
reallty comparable.

Happy hunting

Ian