[Nottingham] Mount and Filesystem

godfrey godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 18:47:12 BST 2007

Hi,

Simple answer is that the currently visible /var (and all its contents)
becomes 'invisible' - until such time as you unmount /dev/sdb1.

Note that mounting like this will cause grave problems to any program that may
have files open on /var.

Your method is -
1 - shut down into single user mode, and make sure nothing is using /var
2 - mount /dev/sdb1 to other location like /newdisk
3 copy /var contents to /newdisk
4 edit /etc/fstab (or equivalent) to mount /dev/sdb1 as /var
5 reboot the computer
result - you get a 100Gb /var

Regards,

Godfrey