[Nottingham] Tape Backup Systems

Robert Postill robertpostill at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 11:42:50 BST 2008

On 12/04/2008, at 12:12 AM, Martin Garton wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 14:58 +0100, Michael Simms wrote:
>>
>> If you need to have offsite, just put
>> things onto a USB stick which is faster and cheaper than buying all
>> those tapes.
It depends on the drive and the tape, there is a lot of truth in this
at the low end (AIT) where the tapes are thin and the plastic cases
almost as thin.  However USB sticks are a lot less reliable than hard
disks and tapes and I would stay far, far away from USB sticks for
any data that I wanted to keep.

I would also say the big downside of tape is the management
(changing, recycling and testing will use the time of at least one
person full time), my time will easily be more than the cost of a
heap of tapes.
>> Personally I simply backup using rsync to a remote server.
Nice one.

Robert