[Nottingham] Tape Backup Systems

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 14 13:02:12 BST 2008

Another thing to consider is an all-too-common problem of data
duplication. I'm not talking just about on the backup level, I'm on
about the live level as well, which directly influences the chosen
solution.

To give an example, I have several backup policies in place. I do lots
of video. I have, as I mentioned before, a filedump which holds the raw
capture. This dump is cloned on an external "working" drive. The dump is
on a machine with twin battery backup and that machine has only one use:
video capture. When the job's done and the raw is copied, it gets shut
down, the copy gets worked on, and in the event of EHD failure I can
unpack a new drive and clone the raw captures again.

The video is processed using one or more discrete processors, depending
on the time requirements. The finished articles go to three places: a
safebound EHD, a quality DVDR and a local HD stack. The DVDs are stored
offsite, the EHD goes into a fireproof safe, and the local stack is
simply there for my own enjoyment.

 From this, you can see that duplication is very carefully controlled
(out of habit more than out of OCD). There are no duplicates flying
around that I don't know about and certainly none that I'm aware of.