[Nottingham] [Social] Wed 06/08/2008 Pretty Orchid food 'n' beers meet

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 10:17:59 BST 2008

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> For this coming Wednesday (next month being as this is this month
> still), Wednesday 06/08/2008:
>
> A slightly different venue last visited long long ago, but one that is
> still there even if it is now very well hidden away... Get yer maps out
> folks!
>

> Pretty Orchid
[---]

> with beers in:
>
> The Pit & Pendulum
[---]

> ps: Michael S: This time, keep off the bones please! :-p

And we dist partake of much Lust, Envy, Sloth, and others that I can't
remember. Most excellent but not so for the next morning, oooer ouch.

The Pit & Pendulum decor is certainly fun and there are claimed 'sound
effects' in certain places. There's now the additional (free) haunted
rumble as a tram whooshes by... Best tried earlier in the evening before
the music is turned on!

And then we climbed out of the pit to find the tranquility of the Pretty
Orchid. They really should advertise that place better. Very good food,
good very friendly service. And very hidden out of the way. Rather good.

We then finished off in our favourite Langtrys.

Strangely, the discussions stayed much more down to earth than usual.
The most ethereal subject broached was that of wireless bridging of two
networks and the ensuing confusion of discovering two active dhcp
servers... (Myself, I'd have put in a Linux box for the bridging and
then bonded the multiple internet connections with the added fun of "tc"
traffic shaping but without the 'policing' shaper.) There were also
discussions of other pipes and creatures and grand designs...

Next nosh Wed 03/09/2008:

Anyone on for trying the new posh-"Big Wok" on Upper Parliament Street
called Maysum?

Any other ideas?

martin at ml1.co.uk