[Nottingham] Setting up a router at uni (Danny King)

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:32:23 UTC 2008

Danny King wrote:
> Is there any safe or sensible way to use my server as both a web/ssh
> server and a custom router? Would I need to buy a network card with
> two network ports for that to work?
>
> Thanks again!

It's doable but bear in mind that the server being on the same hardware
would, if run on the same OS as the firewall, effectively be in the DMZ
(as in, not protected by NAT rules). Better off to run two virtual
machines in this case (one for the firewall and one for the server), and
yes two seperate network cards would work (and be slightly cheaper than
a PCI-E dualport card!).

cheers,

TLP