[Nottingham] London Wardrive...

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:53:31 UTC 2008

Wow. That was one fantastic piece of theatre. Twice in one night I felt
at the end like someone had smashed my head in with a slice of lemon.
Wrapped around a large gold brick.

...enough about that, on to the important bit...

Having a laptop with me alleviated some of the boredom associated with
finding out that the place you were expecting to stay toasty warm was
closing for the night. Bummer. The ensuing walking tour of London was
interesting though. You wouldn't believe how many wifi hotspots are down
there, they literally overlap in every nook and cranny from Chelsea to
the South Bank and beyond. Several free municipal hotspots, not least of
which - and big Up to the RFH here - is the South Bank Connection. From
Westminster Palace to Buck House to the other end of the Embankment, and
I'd place bets it goes all the way to the EITC Docks, it's five bars all
the way, no blind spots. Awesomeness. If you're in London and can manage
to grab a couple hours down there, absolutely do so and don't forget
your laptop. As for the City being unfriendly? Let's just put that one
to sleep, eh? I don't think I've ever spoken to so many complete
strangers in one night, ever, anywhere. All of them very friendly and
uber helpful. That kinda helps when one's GPS unit battery dies (I blame
the cold and I'm sticking to that excuse). Yes, my fingertips may have
been frozen but the sheer atmosphere of the place left me with a warm
and fuzzy feeling inside and the want to return with my laptop, several
spare batteries, lots of coffee cash, several friends and a long list of
torrents... anyone up for a night at the Opera?

--
TLP

Last night I played a blank tape at full volume. The mime next door went nuts.