[Nottingham] Ubuntu crash on switching user

Moppett Iain Iain.Moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 4 20:59:32 GMT 2008

Hi all,

Any one able to help on this one?

I've got Ubuntu 7.10 on a Dell/Intel Core2 Duo.  Whenever I try to switch user back from another user to me the display fails.  I get a distorted log in screen followed by a flashing 'Ubuntu yellow' blank screen with no mouse.  At this point the only way out (for me) is either Alt-Ctrl-Fn 1 to bring up a tty and then sudo reboot.  I've had a look at the forums but I cna't find anything that directly matches, and I wouldn't know what to look for in the logs.

Any help much appreciated as ever.

Iain

Specs below

    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
    configuration: administrator_password=enabled boot=normal chassis=mini-tower power-on_password=enabled uuid=44454C4C-4600-1033-8035-C3C04F32334A
  *-core
       product: 0HR330
       vendor: Dell Inc.
       physical id: 0
       serial: ..CN1374076P038S.
     *-firmware
          vendor: Dell Inc.
          physical id: 0
          version: 2.3.1 (05/21/2007)
          size: 64KB
          capacity: 960KB
          capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppytoshiba int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb ls120boot biosbootspecification netboot
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 400
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: 6.15.2
          serial: 0000-06F2-0000-0000-0000-0000
          slot: Microprocessor
          size: 1866MHz
          width: 64 bits
          clock: 1066MHz
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx x86-64 constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
          configuration: id=0
        *-cache:0
             physical id: 700
             size: 32KB
             capacity: 32KB
             capabilities: internal write-back data
        *-cache:1
             physical id: 701
             size: 2MB
             capacity: 2MB
             capabilities: internal varies unified
        *-logicalcpu:0
             physical id: 0.1
             width: 64 bits
             capabilities: logical
        *-logicalcpu:1
             physical id: 0.2
             width: 64 bits
             capabilities: logical
     *-memory
          physical id: 1000
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 1GB
     *-pci
          product: 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci at 0000:00:00.0
          version: 02
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
        *-pci:0
             product: 82Q963/Q965 PCI Express Root Port
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:01.0
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci pm msi pciexpress normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
        *-display:0
             product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
             version: 02
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: msi pm vga bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
             product: 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 2.1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.1
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
             configuration: latency=0
        *-usb:0
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1a
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1a.0
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: uhci bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-usb:1
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1a.1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1a.1
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: uhci bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-usb:2
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1a.7
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1a.7
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0 module=ehci_hcd
        *-multimedia
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1b
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1b.0
             version: 02
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel
        *-pci:1
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1c
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1c.0
             version: 02
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode bus_master cap_list
             configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
        *-pci:2
             product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1c.4
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1c.4