[Nottingham] [Talks] *TODAY* Thurs 21-02-2008: Arduino; And What GPL?!

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 10:01:03 GMT 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008 20:25:01 Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 15:44 +0000, Michael Erskine (at home!) wrote:
> > Sure, how the blinkin' flip do I do that? telnet? :)
> Now that really is a way to guarantee hardcore hacker status, sending
> all SMTP messages by hand :)

I end up doing this more often than you might think! Although I wouldn't
attempt AUTH, I do use telnet to test connections to various MTAs.

> Anyway, to the point: it depends on the MTA you're using; although I
> rather suspect from the headers your mail displayed that it's just kmail
> being used as an MUA which is connecting straight to Yahoo doing
> authenticated SMTP.

That's correct - using KMail connecting to Yahoo SMTP as I have for some years
now.

> If that's the case, you need to give your machine (fs1,ketech.local) a
> different local hostname which resolves externally (or at the very
> least, the domain part does). How you do that is up to you.

Well, my machine domain is provided by a DHCP server and the machine (and
indeed this entire internal private domain) is quite specifically not
externally resolvable and neither should it have to be - although I may be
wrong of course! :)

I think we just have a shoddy service from Yahoo at the moment!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
We are not loved by our friends for what we are; rather, we are loved in
spite of what we are.