[Nottingham] [Talks] *TODAY* Thurs 21-02-2008: Arduino; And What GPL?!

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 09:23:04 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 09:55:42 Joshua Lock wrote:
> Fedora seems to have all of these in its repositories. Unfortunately
> the bundled IcedTea JVM (in Fedora 8 x86_64) doesn't seem to want to
> run the Arduino IDE. I'll have to get an RPM from Sun later.

I don't think IcedTea has enough caffeine to be called Java! Get yourself a
real JVM from the big boys at Sun - and make it a V6 while you're at it for
some crazy-awesome performance!

> That terminology probably comes from Paul Graham. He oft refers to
> hacking as art and akin to sketching, particularly in his well known
> essay Hackers and Painters[2].

A great book. Still, I'm not keen on the term 'sketch': it sounds, well...
sketchy! I guess it's perceived to be less scary than the word 'program'.

Regards,
Michael.

--
QOTD:
	"If he learns from his mistakes, pretty soon he'll know everything."