[Nottingham] My fedora 9 experience (vent/rant included)

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu Jul 10 18:51:12 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 17:20 +0100, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, "Michael Simms" <michael at tuxgames.com> wrote:
> <a long and stressed-out rant>
>
> I'm writing this on my F9 box at work. I've been using Fedora since,
> well, Redhat 5 :) and stick with it because it's the devil I know.

Just to clarify, I can fix all these things. My point is more - I
shouldnt have to, and if Linux is ever going to win, it needs to tidy up
and work. Things like selinux, yeah I turned it off, but, how will a
newbie who is given no option to turn it off during install, who finds
permission denied on things that look ok, ever know what to do.

'Look in the logfiles, see whats stopping it working, change this config
in /etc/selinux'

Sure but thats why people hate Linux cos its too hard. We know how to do
it cos we've been using Linux for a while. HOW is a newbie going to
cope. Easy, they'll install Windows!

The *defaults* should work, it should only start to break when you mess
with things. Everything I talked about (with the possible exception of
dhcp on an alias) should work out of the box with the defaults. selinux
is ON by default. And when the first thing I had to do is turn it off to
make things work, thats showing a bad decision to have it on by default.

> Interface aliases were deprecated - yes, they were - a long time ago
> in favour of the arcane but powerful iproute2 toolkit.

Well, I'd never heard of that but - Ive just looked at the HOWTO and
give me a BREAK! This is using a sledgehammer to open a tin of beans. I
want a tin opener! I want to set multiple IP addresses onto one card. I
don't want to do traffic shaping, arp management or whateverthehell else
this does.

Un*x was designed to be a whole load of small useful tools. Why are we
persisting in moving away from this into a whole bunch of swiss army
knives where you can never find anything you need! Sometimes you dont
even want the knife you think you do!

*sigh*
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games LTD