[Nottingham] My fedora 9 experience (vent/rant included)

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 10 18:59:11 BST 2008

James Dobson wrote:

> In the end that is why ubuntu is racing ahead, it really is a much better
> experience that fedora. Sadly I think fedora/redhat are dropping behind and
> this is reflected in the OS. For example at my work most (90%) where using
> fedora now most are using ubuntu, it's basically a shift that's been going
> on for over a year now, if there PC dies or needs upgrading it's then taken
> as an excuse to upgrade to ubuntu.

This all makes interesting reading. I dumped RH after 9, when RHE/Fedora split
(I'd been a RH users since 4.1). I had a brief fight with Suse, which I
couldn't get on with, mainly because I could only download a "personal" iso,
and then I had to point the rpm manager to ftp, which ended in a broken
install. Gentoo was my next distro, and I still run it on some of my hardware
(my RaQ4, for example), but it's VERY easy to break if you don't keep on top of
the updates, you can kill an install simply by doing too many upgrades at once.
And so, I'm now running Ubuntu, and simply loving using Linux again... to the
point where I haven't had Windows installed on any of my desktop machines since
April.

I think distro choice counts for quite a lot these days, after having a few
years where they all seemed to become much of a muchness.

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com