[Nottingham] My fedora 9 experience (vent/rant included)

James Dobson dob_3001 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 11:31:16 BST 2008

> Heh yeah the spinny 3D desktops are nice looking, but
> unfortunately they
> are also a very good example of what Linux is (IMHO) doing
> wrong.
>
> 3D OpenGL desktops are *screwed* when it comes to trying to
> run a 3D
> OpenGL application on them. They are 90% of the way there,
> and yet are
> pretty much installed as standard on many distros. They are
> supposed to
> translate the OpenGL application into its own space and run
> it
> seamlessly. Unfortunately it doesn't ever seem to work
> like that.

I've always wondered why 'companies' like yours don't just build there own derived linux platform that can run games. That way you control the platform that the end users run and don't get stuck when X introduce a new feature, I know for example that many old linux games simply don't run any more due to reliance on old libraries. If you could create a platform that is standard for games development then that would make the job *MUCH* easier for game studios for write for and for people like yourself to support.

Just my theory!!

JD