[Nottingham] Batch file renaming

Michael Quaintance penfoldq at penfoldq.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 12:52:26 BST 2008

Everyone

I have a reasonably large collection of mp3 format audio files (about
8GB) which have been downsampled using lame for putting on my 8G ipod.
Unfortunately, I got the lame options a little wrong and now the files I
want all have names like "01 - Beat It.mp3.128kbps". The files are
arranged in folders of the artist and album.

Because these files have been transferred from a Mac to a Windows
machine, there are some "interesting" characters in the file and folder
names. By interesting, I mean accented characters, spaces, exclamation
marks, attempts at protecting accented characters, etc.

Could someone suggest a way to rename all these files so as to strip the
trailing ".128kbps" and leave the rest of the filename and folder names
intact?

I'm sure a clever but of command-line-fu will be able to save the day.

Thanks in advance.

-Penfold