[Nottingham] Old, unwanted hardware?

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Tue Jun 3 00:56:45 BST 2008

Danny King wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm hoping to get my hands on a "testing" box for learning about
> networking & security and install various distros on for comparison, I
> wonder if anyone has any old systems that they would like to get rid
> of, or could anyone suggest a better place to ask?
>
> Ideally I'm looking for a small and portable box (I'll be moving
> between home & uni) , so perhaps an old laptop with an ethernet card &
> cdrom drive?
>
> Sorry to beg! Is being a poor student an excuse? Thanks!

My friend in sheffield who has a had a similar lack of available cash
found freecycle a godsend.
Seriously, it seems like their whole house is off freecycle, including
the 64bit webserver etc....
I'm not sure how active freecycle is near you, (I live in **Glossop**
and freecycle isn't so great here!) but it's worth a look.

The other place where you can pick up hardware for next to nothing is
your local tip.

At one time i picked up several machines there for a fiver each, each
capable of running gnu/linux with a graphical front end...

As with all things, it's all about being in the right place at the right
time... so keep checking things like your tip, freecycle etc.

freecycle == www.freecycle.org

I realise you probably have the hardware now, but other people in the
same situation may not be as brave to publicly beg or wish to jump on
band wagon now you have done it.

Respect! though, to those who feel they have hardware to spare, I am
very grateful to the various people who have given me machines in the
past - I probably wouldn't be hear today if it wasn't for their
donations. :)

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net