[Nottingham] Hello Everyone

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 12:19:21 BST 2008

Daniel,

> Though I'd just say I quick hello to everyone. My names Daniel, I
> currently live just outside nottingham in the sunny town of heanor.
[---]

Heanor? Where's that?! ;-)

Thanks for a very good hello, and welcome to the group.

As for which distro to try, well I think Martin G's comment is good as
in you should try a few for yourself and see what you like.

My thoughts are that:

1: You can go with what your friends use and trust that you share their
likes and that you can also enjoy some immediate help on your identical
system;

2: Try a few distros for yourself and see and learn what is available
and choose for yourself. There's enough general help on hand that you
should be able to do your own thing;

3: Go 'native' and build your own system from scratch! See "LFS".

I guess that's also in order of increasing time required but also in
order of increasing fun and learning :-)

Next meet is at the Nav on Thursday 19/06/2008 (hope I got the date
right this time!!!)... Should we bring a few CDs/DVDs of distros to hand
out for trial?

ps: Am I the /only/ Mandriva 'fan'?!

martin at ml1.co.uk