[Nottingham] Top posting (was: Hello Everyone)

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue Jun 10 14:23:38 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 14:13 +0100, Michael Simms wrote:
> And personally, I find bottom-posting extremely annoying.

If it includes the whole thread, it's just as bad as top-posting.

> When I am reading through a thread of mail, I dont want to have to
> scroll all the way to the bottom to read whats new, if its new, I want
> it in the current window of my screen.

Which is why trim-quote-and-context helps. Doesn't it? A bit like a
discussion, where the replies follow the other participant's input.

> Everyones opinion and needs differ, so why dont we just live with it
> {:-)

In this case Martin actually included the salient and most important
point in his email:

> Note: For those trying to read the digests, multiple screens of ever
> increasing repeated quotes make the digests unreadable and unusable.

Mailing list digests are bad enough at the best of times [0], but on
days like today where much of the discussion is essentially off-topic
*and* over-quoted, they're a bloody nightmare.

Graeme

[0] In my opinion; other opinions are available :)