[Nottingham] Not printing

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 22:14:00 BST 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008, Ron Wilton wrote:
> Thanks for the reply David.
>
> I do have a few questions that I hope you'll be able to answer.
>
> 1) do I do the
> modprobe lp
> echo lp >> /etc/modules
> apt-get remove --purge cupsys
> apt-get install cupsys
>  ---or---
>  apt-get install cupsys cupsys-driver-gutenprint hplip from the 'terminal'

Yes, that's all in a terminal.   You'll need to be logged in as root to do
this (or use sudo before every line) .

> 2) what's the difference between the two 'apt-get' lines?

It depends what printer you are using.   I use the Gutenprint drivers for my
Epson RX620 printer, so I used the second option to make sure gutenprint was
up to date.   What sort of printer have you?

> 3) How do I make sure the user is in the groups lp and lpadmin? And would I
> have to check this for all users?

As I said, I'm not using Ubuntu and there may well be an Ubuntu tool for this:
I use KDE rather than Gnome too, so while my first suggestion would be to use
Kuser  that may not help you!   There are plenty of Gnome people in NLUG,
though - I'm sure someone will be along with a hint soon!

--
David Aldred