[Nottingham] [Talk] Thursday 19/06/2008 - What is there on Linux? What can it do?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 22:43:59 BST 2008

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>

> Thursday 19/06/2008, talk and discussion:
>
> What is there on Linux? What can it do?
>

> So what are your favourite Linux applications? How many out of the many
> thousands of applications do you use??

A few links from the talk are:

Linux App Finder
http://linuxappfinder.com/all

Linux Applications
http://www.linux.org/apps/

35 Cool Applications to install on Desktop Ubuntu Linux 7.04
http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/07/35-cool-applications-to-install-on.html

Applications featured in Damned Small Linux:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html

Commercial Linux Applications:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxCommercialApplications.html

Some of the more popular distributions listed:
http://www.linuxsoftware.org/

Top 10 Linux console applications (26 April 2005)
http://www.linux.com/feature/44366

February 28, 2008
Top 100 of the Best (Useful) OpenSource Applications
http://ubuntulinuxhelp.com/top-100-of-the-best-useful-opensource-applications/

Table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux
(Rather an unwieldy long list! Still impressive!)
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

So... 20000 or so applications or so available for a distro... Are we
overwhelmed by too much choice?

How do we know what to try?

How do we know what they /are/ before going to the trouble of installing?

And why do we have such big overpowered beasts of PCs when most people
just read email and surf the web for most of their 'computing'?

And all over a good beer or two!

All good fun,

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk