[Nottingham] Security on Linux

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:18:35 BST 2008

Linux can be really really secure and really really insecure. I think
we have to be careful not to just assume the stereotype that Linux is
always more secure than, say, Windows. But for the average desktop
user, it probably will be more secure than a default install of a
modern Windows instillation.

Let's take on-line banking as an example. Under Linux you are probably
less likely to have any malware running (a virus, trojan or keylogger)
that steals your log-in details, but you would of course still need to
be weary that you're not logging into a fake site and that your
connection is encrypted (the little lock icon in your browser).

If you're interested in security for Servers then Linux is not always
seen as the most secure, although of course it can be made very secure
by a good administrator. There is a bewildering amount of stuff to
read on linux security, just take a look at any large bookshop or
search google.