[Nottingham] Roaming SMTP - solutions (and adventures!)

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 16:16:09 GMT 2008

After fighting with my 3 broadband dongle and later finding out that
Three don't actually have an SMTP mail server, I spent half of last
night figuring out a solution. And, here it is. I find this info not
anywhere in a Google search so I'm pasting it up here for further
dissemination. I'm pasting from an email I sent in reply to a support
question, so just swap "Outlook" with your mail client of choice and
make any other necessary adjustments, and you'll be good to go.

First off, you need to create a Google Mail account. After you've done
this you need to configure gmail pop server.

To enable POP in your Gmail account:

1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click *Settings* at the top of any Gmail page.
3. Click *Forwarding and POP/IMAP*.
4. Select *Enable POP for all mail* or *Enable POP for mail that
   arrives from now on*.
5. Choose the action you'd like your Gmail messages to take after
   they are accessed with POP.
6. Configure your POP client and click *Save Changes*.

Then to configure the Outlook mail server:

open account options

set outgoing mail server to smtp.gmail.com port 25

username is your gmail username (the bit before @googlemail.com)
password is your gmail pasword

If you want to add incoming mail on the gmail account to your client,
the incoming server is pop.gmail.com port 995, username is your gmail
username and the password is your gmail password, and make sure the
security setting is set to SSL.

This method works a treat, and with 6500MB of storage on your gmail
account you shouldn't have to worry about spam hitting the return path,
as gmail adds their own headers - just a little something to add to your
signature that they should not use the return path to reply, but to use
the email you specify there (ie info at here.com rather than say,
me at googlemail.com where all the spam is going to end up.

Anyone who wants/needs, mail me direct for a gmail invite.

cheers,

Jim

--
NOTE: Do NOT use the "Reply-To" to reply to messages. Use: jamesATthe-computer-shopDOTcoDOTuk
instead, as my SMTP server has munged this field. The gmail account is NOT monitored.