[Nottingham] Roaming SMTP - solutions (and adventures!)

Jim jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 22 01:10:41 GMT 2008

like I said in my sig, gmail mung the headers after it leaves my host,
including the reply-to. Nothing I can do but suffer it.

Christopher Joice wrote:
> You could always set up the "reply to" field in your SMTP settings, thus
> when people hit "reply" it automatically goes to your specified address.
>
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 16:15 +0000, Jim Moore wrote:
>
>> After fighting with my 3 broadband dongle and later finding out that
>> Three don't actually have an SMTP mail server, I spent half of last
>> night figuring out a solution. And, here it is. I find this info not
>> anywhere in a Google search so I'm pasting it up here for further
>> dissemination. I'm pasting from an email I sent in reply to a support
>> question, so just swap "Outlook" with your mail client of choice and
>> make any other necessary adjustments, and you'll be good to go.
>>
>> First off, you need to create a Google Mail account. After you've done
>> this you need to configure gmail pop server.
>>
>> To enable POP in your Gmail account:
>>
>> 1. Log in to your Gmail account.
>> 2. Click *Settings* at the top of any Gmail page.
>> 3. Click *Forwarding and POP/IMAP*.
>> 4. Select *Enable POP for all mail* or *Enable POP for mail that
>>    arrives from now on*.
>> 5. Choose the action you'd like your Gmail messages to take after
>>    they are accessed with POP.
>> 6. Configure your POP client and click *Save Changes*.
>>

>> Then to configure the Outlook mail server:
>>
>> open account options
>>
>> set outgoing mail server to smtp.gmail.com port 25
>>
>> username is your gmail username (the bit before @googlemail.com)
>> password is your gmail pasword
>>
>> If you want to add incoming mail on the gmail account to your client,
>> the incoming server is pop.gmail.com port 995, username is your gmail
>> username and the password is your gmail password, and make sure the
>> security setting is set to SSL.
>>
>> This method works a treat, and with 6500MB of storage on your gmail
>> account you shouldn't have to worry about spam hitting the return path,
>> as gmail adds their own headers - just a little something to add to your
>> signature that they should not use the return path to reply, but to use
>> the email you specify there (ie info at here.com rather than say,
>> me at googlemail.com where all the spam is going to end up.
>>
>> Anyone who wants/needs, mail me direct for a gmail invite.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Thanks, Christopher Joice http://chrisjoice.co.uk ...And sometimes
> there's a short cut. A door or a gate. Some standing stones. A tree
> cleft by lightning, a filing cabinet. Maybe just a spot onsome moorland
> somewhere... A place where THERE is very nearly HERE... If some people
> knew where such a spot was, if they had experience of what happens when
> here and there become entangled, then they might - if they knew how -
> mark such a spot with certain stones. In the hope that enough daft
> buggers would take it as awarning and keep away. (Lords and Ladies)

NOTE: Do NOT use the "Reply-To" to reply to messages. Use: jamesATthe-computer-shopDOTcoDOTuk
instead, as my SMTP server has munged this field. The gmail account is NOT monitored.