[Nottingham] A few problems with my computer

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri May 2 12:44:01 BST 2008

Ron Wilton wrote:
> I'm having a few problems with my computer, and I'm hoping someone will
> be able to help me.
>
> 1) The date is not being remembered when I start the computer.
>
> 2) I get the following message when the computer first boots up:-
> CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
>
> 3) When the partitions are being mounted I get the following message:-
> Superblock last mount time is in the future. FIXED

I agree with the others: The CMOS backup battery on the motherboard is
flat and needs replacing.

Obviously, on your system, that isn't critical but a bit of an annoyance.

You can have the clock automatically corrected by installing/enabling ntp.

You can fix the source problem by replacing the battery. About a pound
from Wilko or Maplin, or whatever from a computer shop, depending on how
old your motherboard is and battery type.

You'll be welcome to bring it along to the install-tweak-fixit fest this
month Thursday 22/05/2008 at the Nav. Arrange beforehand about the battery!

martin at ml1.co.uk