[Nottingham] data transfers causing hard hangs

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Mon May 19 13:02:27 BST 2008

Sounds like an ATA controller problem. Have the drives checked. I've
sometimes found RAM problems as well can cause such behaviour, so it'd
be worth doing a burnin test on that (not the usual Memtest86 one, try
the Microsoft Memory checker; it's much more thorough, or QuickTech Pro
if you can lay your hands on a copy (QTP also does drive testing so
that's a good all-round solution)). Incidentally, what cooling do you
have in place for the drives?

The Other James.