[Nottingham] ia32-libs-gtk

Richard Smedley rs at m6-it.org
Tue May 20 08:32:24 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:10 +0100, Richard Davies wrote:
> Can anyone suggest what is going on here and what I need to do to fix it.
> I am getting random frequent system freezes and don't know if it is related to
> this, to the installation of "Follow me not" in Iceweasel or to damaged
> hardware (coucil workmen tripped the breakers many times forcing rebook and
> destroying the fan may have done other damage) All these things happened
> about the same time.
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> ia32-libs-gtk
> 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 31 not upgraded.
> E: I wasn't able to locate a file for the ia32-libs-gtk package. This might
> mean you need to manually fix this package. (due to missing arch)

If it's due to hardware probs then ia32-libs-gtk is the
least of your worries :-/
Tell us a bit more about the freezes; meanwhile let's look
at ia32-libs.

I take it you need this library to run a 32-bit Flash plug-in on
a 64-bit Debian or Ubuntu install? Working on that assumption
(more info always helpful ;)  you could try downloading the
package directly [1], then installing it with dpkg:

dpkg -i ia32-libs-gtk

If you've upgraded to Hardy, something could have got broken,
and you may be able to fix it with:
apt-get install ia32-libs

btw Please start new threads with a new mail addressed to the LUG,
rather than replying to an unrelated message and changing the subject,
otherwise the archive becomes less useful and those of us with
threaded MUAs get very confused ;^)

 - Richard

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/libs/ia32-libs-gtk
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libs/ia32-libs-gtk